Sewing a slipcover

Sometime before we moved (great memory, eh?), I picked up this brown leather footstool at Value Village for just $10.

It wasn't much to look at, but I loved the shape and size, and I knew it would look great under a cute slipcover. Of course I'd never made a slipcover before, but I figured this would be a good test project (and if it turned out horribly, at least I'd only be out $10).

I made my own pattern, which basically consisted of six side panels and one top piece. I measured the stool's dimensions, then transcribed these measurements onto some scrap fabric I had lying around, adding about half an inch to each side. Next, I cut out my pieces, pinned them together, and my footstool and I had our first fitting. After much trimming and repinning, I had a template. I copied the template onto some nicer scrap fabric, had another fitting, and sewed the whole thing together (I sewed the six side panels together first, then sewed that to the top piece, then hemmed the bottom). It's definitely not perfect and could use a good ironing job, but it's also not bad for a first try.

And there will be a second try; I have another slipcover pinned and ready for sewing. I want to sew both slipcovers together to make one, reversible slipcover, but I'm still figuring out exactly how that will work (my sewing projects usually follow this make-it-up-as-you-go process). So more sewing this weekend - check back next week to see the final result.


Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Popular Posts