DIY message center

{DIY message center}
Although we've been living in our house for a little over a year, we still hadn't found a permanent home for our phone. For the last few months it's actually been hanging out on the floor next to the couch, which both kept it out of sight and kept us from regularly checking our messages (if I haven't called you back, now you know why). And when did need to take a message or make a note, there wasn't a pen or a scrap of paper to be found.

So when I spotted this wooden display case (at least that's what I think it is) at my local Value Village, I knew I wanted to turn it into a mini message center.


These frame hangers (there was one in each of the top corners) are what made me think it was some kind of display case. I just unscrewed them and voila - instant tray.



After some light sanding and a quick wash, I took it outdoors for a coat of spray primer.


While I was out there, I also sprayed a coat of primer on an empty tin can I'd been meaning to turn into a pen/pencil holder. Once the primer was dry (and after driving to Adam's parents' house to celebrate Mother's Day), I applied three or four light coats of spraypaint, allowing 20-30 minutes of drying time between coats (Adam's parents are well aware of my DIY-obsessed ways and didn't blink an eye when I started unpacking my supplies in their backyard).

In my experience, a good paint job is all about patience (needless to say it's a struggle for me everytime). Light coats are the way to go, even if it means 5 instead of 2, and make sure you give your paint enough time to dry between coats (obviously follow the instructions on the can, but as a general rule I'd say longer = better).

{I used Rust-Oleum's gloss white on my pen/pencil holder}

{and satin aqua on my tray}
The blue is the same colour (they call it aqua, I think of it as Tiffany Blue) I'm planning to use on the babe's crib, so it was also a chance to make sure I like the colour (I do). Several pens and a few pads of paper later, and my message center was complete.

{DIY message center}

{it turns out that tin cans make great pen holders}
No more running around the house to find a pen and something to write on, and no more missed messages!

Have you spraypainted anything lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Popular Posts