Summer Pinterest Challenge: DIY stenciled closet

When I heard about the Summer Pinterest Challenge, I knew it was the kick in the butt I needed to check another nursery project off my list. But let's get straight to the reveal, shall we?



Last week, the closet looked like this:


Fully functional, but in need of a little sumthin', sumthin'. I pinned this tutorial for chevron potato stamp art ages ago, thinking it would be a cute art project for the nursery.

source: strawberry chic
But while looking through all the amazing stenciled closet ideas on Pinterest, I decided to skip the frame and go straight for the wall instead. Since most of the closet is hidden from view I'm lazy, I focused on the area behind my shelving.

I drew a parallelogram on my potatoes and cut out three stencils - one for each colour.



Using a ruler and pencil, I drew several very faint guidelines on my wall (my rows still got a little wonky in places, so next time I'd probably skip the guidelines and just slow down). I used some craft paints I already had on hand and blotted my potato stamp on some paper towel before pressing it to the wall to keep things from getting too goopy. Early on, I realized the colours I'd chosen would fade into the background once the shelves were full of clothes, so I decided to stick with just one colour - silver.


As you can see, my stenciling is far from perfect, but I like it that way. To me, that's kind of the deal with potato stamps and I embraced drips, gaps and wonky rows.



The shelves will eventually be filled with more clothing and probably a few baskets or boxes so I don't have to worry about neatly folding everything - I just threw a few things on there for photos :)

Oh, and make sure you visit Ten June, Centastional Girl, Young House Love and Bower Power Blog to see all the fabulous projects other bloggers are linking up today!


Want to see more? Follow me on Pinterest and check out my DIY Bunting Flag Art from the Fall Pinterest Challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Popular Posts