Simple fall table setting


Earlier this week, we had my mom over for dinner to celebrate her 60th birthday. To pretty up my table, I turned a scrap piece of fabric into a no-sew tablecloth and created a simple centerpiece using a square of leftover burlap from my $15 neutral mantle, some vases, candlesticks and votives I already had on hand, and some white carnations from the grocery store. Carnations seem to get a bad rap, but I think they're so pretty when you stick to one colour. I also got to break out my cake stand! I went with a classic yellow birthday cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Oh, and that frame on the settee was a gift for my mom - it's filled with pictures of Hannah for her wall of fame (an entire wall in her house is devoted to pictures of her grandchildren).


For that little something extra, I made this DIY tassle garland from penelope & pip. The garlands were so easy to make and I love how they turned out. Apparently they could also work as Halloween decorations; my niece Caroline asked if they were "ghosties" over Skype. 



While editing these photos, I realized that I forgot napkins! Oops. Can I blame it on mommy brain? A linen hemstitched napkin would be perfect here, folded and placed on top of each plate. If you're not obsessed with neutrals like I am, this would be a good place to add some colour or pattern :)

source

In case you're wondering what we ate, I made butternut squash risotto for the first time (Adam and I are vegetarians) and it was delicious! I used this recipe from Martha Stewart, but I roasted the squash instead of steaming it. We served it with a delicious salad that my brother and his gf brought, roasted brussel sprouts, and plenty of red wine.

Have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Popular Posts