Our almost-finished guest room

Remember the guest room I've been updating you on for months now? It's finally done! OK, it's not done done, but it's so close! We still need to install new baseboard, quarter round and door plinths, but that probably won't happen until after Christmas (we're on a slimmed-down budget while I'm on maternity leave and the room is fully functional as-is), so just picture the same gorgeous baseboard we used in our bedroom and Hannah's nursery, k?



Adam thinks the tiny art above the bed looks weird, but I love it (it's a vintage map of the Maritimes that I bought in London, of all places). I like that its size is unexpected and I think the scale plays well with the large mirror nearby.



Yes, this mirror. My aunt found it at an antique shop in Burlington, VT. For $35. The new light fixture is from Ikea. Adam installed it with help from my dad just after Hannah was born.


I love that door. We replaced all the old hollow-core doors upstairs with solid pine doors that we had cut to size, then stained, sealed and hung ourselves. The new hardwood floors were another DIY project and the wall colour is Behr's Heavy Cream. Two of the walls were textured (blech), so we decided to cover them with horizontal T + G planks. Adam took care of the installation, since I was nine months pregnant, and he did an awesome job. A few people have asked if we're planning to fill the knots and the answer is no. At least not right away. I like the rustic look of the knots, but I'm reserving the right to change my mind down the road.




The closet was missing its door when we bought the house, so I made one (and a curtain for the window, which you can get a better look at here) from a $4 tablecloth.

To give you an idea of just how far this room has come, here are a few side-by-side 'before' and 'almost afters' (can't wait to get that new baseboard installed!):





Wall colour: Heavy Cream by Behr
Alarm clock: HomeSense
Bedding: HomeSense
Quilt: Wedding gift, purchased in Guatemala
Pillow fabric: Samovaari by Marimekko, purchased from Etsy
Light fixture: Ikea KNAPPA pendant
Vintage map: purchased in London, frame purchased from Winners
Mirror: gift, purchased in Burlington, VT
Picasso print: purchased in Luzern, Switzerland
DIY dipped chair
DIY dipped planter
Table: gift, source unknown
Fancy Dress print: Yasmine Surovec, purchased from The Working Proof
Bear print: Anna Stowe
Lamp: purchased at a yard sale
Curtain and closet 'door' fabric: Atlantic Superstore

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Popular Posts