Best of 2012

It's the time of year for 'Best of' lists and I thought it would be fun to take a look back at some of my favourite DIY projects from 2012.


First up, our DIY stained doors. Our house came with cheap hollow core doors that were badly damaged to boot. So, we replaced them with new solid pine doors that we stained, sealed and hung ourselves. We also added new oil-rubbed bronze door knobs. It was a big upgrade with a low price tag and I absolutely love the new look.


After re-arranging our living room, we attempted our first Ikea hack, turning three Billy bookcases into a custom entertainment stand. I love how it turned out and I've had lots of fun styling and re-styling the shelves since this photo was taken.


For our biggest DIY project yet, we installed new hardwood floors in all three bedrooms. The new floors, along with some beefier new mouldings, completely transformed the upstairs. We plan to install the same hardwood in the upstairs hallway after we remodel the stairs (it's on our list for 2013).


We also designed and decorated a blue and green nursery for Hannah, who arrived in August. The room was one big DIY project and I love every inch of it.


I jumped on the paint dipping trend - and completed my second Ikea hack - with this DIY paint-dipped chair...


 And I guess I couldn't get enough of the look, because I later added this paint-dipped planter to our guest room.


This second-hand bamboo chair claimed a permanent spot in my living room after I spray painted it gold and DIY'ed a new seat cushion. Adam has requested a comfy cushion for his back, so expect to see that project soon (hint: it involves polka dots).


I pushed myself outside my comfort zone by painting our front door bright yellow and replacing our worn and dated door knob. I'm happy to report that the paint job is holding up well - even with a dog and a cat to contend with.


This simple jewellery display was a great way to re-use an old picture frame and I love having some of my favourite pieces within easy reach.


We also designed and decorated a brand new guest room. Adam did an amazing job covering up two ugly textured walls with horizontal pine panelling and I finally have a place to showcase the gorgeous quilt we received as a wedding present.


I developed an obsession with gilding in 2012 that resulted in the transformation of this dollar store vase...


And I finally got our master bedroom on the right decorating track by painting our $10 yard sale night stands a bright orange-y coral and gilding the hardware.

I've got lots of projects - big and small - planned for the year ahead. A huge thank you to each and every one of you who take a little time out of your day to see what I'm up to. I'm so grateful for every comment and encouraging word and I'm looking forward to sharing many more projects with you in 2013!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Popular Posts